Monday January 15th is dubbed ‘Blue Monday’ and allegedly the most miserable day of the year. Originally devised by a PR company that came up with a mathematical formula including weather, debt level, the lull after Christmas, lack of motivation for New Year’s resolutions and a possible view that January is better suited to hibernation resulted in the third Monday of January designated the most miserable day of the year.
But seriously, feeling down at any time of the year is horrible. So, if you need help, support and someone to talk things through with, go and see your GP and ask to be referred for counselling.
Hounslow IAPT has excellent free psychological therapies available through your GP or you can self-refer.
If you need a shot of fun or just a change of scene, then work through our list below to get moving and brighten things up a bit. Change your situation and often it can help change your state of mind.
- Get moving, walking or running in one of London’s great parks
- Stretch and flex – Anytime Fitness is offering a free trial at the Hounslow branch in January
- Exercise the mind and learn something new at Richmond Adult Community College from woodwork and painting to dancing and general skills such as teaching courses
- Surprise your taste buds and take part in Veganuary – a month living on a vegan not vegetarian diet. There is a website dedicated to Veganuary at veganuary.com where they provide users a free starter kit
- Give back and find a charity campaign to take part in. Just Giving provides a top 10 list of fundraising ideas that people can join
- Relax and watch one of the great new January movie releases – available at Feltham Cinema